Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Hoping this would be first of many


I was tempted by the prospect of running a full marathon in 2012 when I read about KTM having a 42.2KM run. I also wanted to have a check on my preparations for the Mumbai Marathon (SCMM). With a run you get to check your heart, lungs and legs. More than anything it is your mind which gives up before any of these. It is an in built safety mechanism wher the mind says you to stop even before you reached your stopping point.

As it turns out I was given some body else's running number and timing chip. I got these things changed and reached the venue by 5:30AM. my run was to begin at 6:15AM. I had some time for my pre-run stretch and checks. I told my self I could do it even though without much preparations the previous month as I moved to a new location.

We were flagged off at 6:15 sharp. I was fine till I reached 9.5K. The next one Km was steep uphill run. I did this with a bit of effort and all was well until 21.1K. The half marathon finish point. There were people standing here cheering any one and everyone. I was filled with some enthusiasm after this and ran again till the next uphill of 30K. Along the way I asked a few people who had given up to run with me. It's because of this I could run a few kilometers at thsi point. Then came the worst part. I hit the dreaded 'WALL' This is a condition where you have exhausted all your energy reserves and the mind has given up. Luckily I had to go back to the starting point even if I wanted to go home, thereby completing my full marathon distance. I walked for about 6 KMs. Stopping every 2 KMs for water and ice. At about 2 KM to finish the organizing committee came on a bike asked me if I could complete the run or I needed any help. They would pick me and drop me at the end, but I would not complete the marathon. I would be in the 'DNF' part of the results sheet. I wanted to finish no matter what time I took. This gave a rush of blood to my head an I ran my way to the finish line.

I went in with no target, so no disappointments on my finish time. Lets just say that I need some improvement if I should make it to the finishers list of SCMM. learnt a lot from a lot of mistakes. Let's see if I put them to good use.

However there's always a smile on my face when I have to limp to walk or run now. Treating injuries is also a fun part of a run as it brings back the pleasant memories of the run.I was in too much pain and cribbing about going back all the way to Bangalore  But if asked now whether I would do this whole episode again, I would definitely do it.

I have much much more to write but looks like I have hit the writers block now (akin to the runners wall).

Here is yours truly enjoying the run with some nice songs. This pic might have been taken between KM 23-27

No comments: